Independence Day and fireworks go hand in hand. If attending a just isn't enough to make your July 4th memorable, and you just have to put on your own backyard show, it's a good idea to do it safely and legally.
Here's a list of cities in Los Angeles where "safe and sane" fireworks are legal. Note: Sierra Madre is not one of them.
- Alhambra, Artesia, Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bell, Bellflower, Bell Gardens, Carson, Commerce, Compton, Cudahy, Downey, Duarte, Gardena, El Monte, Hawaiian Gardens, Hawthorne, Huntington Park, Industry, Inglewood, Irwindale, La Mirada, La Puente, Lakewood, Lawndale, Lynwood, Maywood, Montebello, Monterey Park, Norwalk, Palmdale, Paramount, Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, South El Monte, South Gate, Temple City
Here are a few tips from the L.A. County Fire Department on safely enjoying fireworks:
- Always read directions and use common sense
- Never allow children or teens under 16 years of age to light fireworks
- Use outdoors only and away from buildings or dry grass
- Keep others at a safe distance
- Never point fireworks at another person
- Never attempt to re‐light or fix malfunctioning fireworks
- Light one at a time, then move away quickly
- Have a bucket of water handy for emergencies and dousing misfired and spent fireworks