Under general supervision, plans, organizes, supervises and participates in fire services activities including emergency medical, suppression, prevention, and investigation; serves as the apparatus operator on an assigned shift; directs and participates in fire and emergency services operations until relieved; performs related duties as required. In addition to their supervisory responsibility, the Engineers participate in the rendering of services and administer certain programs necessary to operation of the department as a whole.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- During an assigned shift, assists the station captain in the supervision of safety personnel engaged in fire suppression, prevention, and investigation and the provision of emergency medical and other services provided by the fire department;
- Responds to fire and other emergency calls; makes necessary decisions in emergency situations as regards the deployment of equipment, laying of hoses, fire suppression activities, emergency medical, hazardous materials releases and rescue procedures;
- Assumes primary responsibility for the inspection, servicing, and maintenance of assigned fire equipment;
- Conducts inspections of multi-residential, commercial and light industrial buildings as well as hazardous vegetation around homes in the Very High Fire hazard Severity Zones to enforce fire codes and ordinances; identifies fire hazards, collects information, and maintains inspection, investigation, fire and medical report records;
- Participates in pre-fire planning processes;
- Addresses critical fireground safety hazards;
- Participates in public relations activities involving safety and fire prevention demonstrations;
- Provides training through in-station drills, classroom instruction, shift briefings and on the job instruction. Directs and participates in the cleaning, maintenance, and repair of fire equipment, apparatus, hydrants, and stations; reviews and approves equipment checks, daily logs, and inspection reports;
- Assists in cleaning and maintaining fire station, quarters, and surrounding grounds; personally maintains Fire Department apparatus and instructs Firefighters in these duties;
- May train or assist in training probationary Firefighters;
- Conduct station tours and other public education events;
- Responsible for the preparation of reports and correspondence as directed by the Fire Chief;
- Deal with the public under stressful circumstances in a fair, calm and understanding way to obtain positive results;
- Continually promote, in actions, words and writing, the highest customer service standards;
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service;
- Subject to being called back when off duty for major incidents;
- Performs duties of Fire Fighter, Engineer as assigned;
- Perform various related duties as required by the Fire Chief.
The part-time Engineer II will not work over forty (40) 24-hour shifts throughout the fiscal year. The part-time Engineer II will not work more than 960 hours per fiscal year.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent; and
- Paid Engineer on a career Fire Department; or
- Two years as a volunteer Engineer for the Sierra Madre Fire Department.
- Possession of a valid California Class “B” Driver’s License or higher;
- Valid Emergency Medical Technician Certification/License with the County of Los Angeles;
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR); and
- Driver/Operator 1A,
- Driver/Operator 1B,
- Firefighter 1; or
- The equivalent qualifications from a career fire department.
- $11.34-13.78/hour; $272.16-$330.72/shift, DOQ
- A mandatory deferred compensation plan is offered in lieu of Social Security withholding. If currently enrolled in the CalPERS system, the City’s PERS Safety Plan for existing CalPERS Members is 3% at 55.
- This is a part-time/seasonal position and as such offers no sick leave or benefits.
- The City pays all employer taxes required under Federal, State and local laws
- Selected candidate(s) will be provided one set of uniforms.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Those who are not currently employed as an Engineer on a career department must pass a written test. Those who successfully pass the written test and/or the oral interviews will be invited to a practical test .
Study Material for Fire Engineer II Written Examination:
- Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook. 2nd Edition, IFSTA (2006)
- Hydraulic Problems, based on Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook 2nd Edition. IFSTA (2006)
- Essentials of Firefighting and Fire Department Operations. IFSTA, 5th Edition (2006)
- Firefighter’s Handbook on Wildland Firefighting. By Teie, W., Deer Valley Press, 3rd Edition (2005)
The successful candidate(s) must pass:
- Pre-employment medical exam, including a drug/alcohol screening;
- Psychological exam;
- Criminal background check;
- California Driver License (CDL) Review Process; and
- Reference and background verification, including a credit screening. References will not be contacted until a mutual interest has been established.
Candidates should apply with a current resume online at www.cityofsierramadre.com. Applications must be completed and demonstrate that the minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on the application are subject to investigation and verification. The most qualified candidates will be selected to participate in an interview process. All candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will remain candidates until a final offer is accepted by the candidate who most closely meets the requirements of the City. The City may conclude that none of the candidates, even those who meet the minimum qualifications, are appropriate for the position.
Immigration and Reform Act of 1986
In compliance with the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986, all new employees must demonstrate eligibility to legally work in the United States by providing required documentation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City does not make employment decisions based on sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status or physical handicap, except when such qualifications are appropriate occupational qualifications
The City of Sierra Madre makes reasonable accommodations for disabled persons, considering each situation on an individual basis. Please make direct requests for accommodation to the City of Sierra Madre Community & Personnel Services Department.
The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.
The City of Sierra Madre
The City of Sierra Madre with a population of approximately 11,000 is a unique village located in Los Angeles County at the base of the San Gabriel Valley Mountains. Sierra Madre is a residential community, proud of being the Village of the Foothills. Its small size and quiet neighborhoods lends itself to the small town atmosphere the residents are proud of maintaining. The City is a full service municipality operating with a $20 million budget that funds 66 full-time employees assigned to eight operating departments. Government services are primarily funded by property taxes, local taxes, and user fees. The local economy consists primarily of professional service providers and specialty retail shops and restaurants.
Fire Department Mission Statement
The Sierra Madre Fire Department provides superior community service through the delivery of fire prevention, fire control, and emergency medical and public education services. We support our mission with an absolute commitment to community service, customer support, cost effective operation, training, and education.
Questions may be directed to Dorothy Costello at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 626.355.7135. Applicants may wish to visit the City’s official website – www.cityofsierramadre.com – for further information.
To apply, click the link.