Take this festive and delicious American flag cake to a July 4th barbecue, picnic or wherever you plan to spend Independence Day.
Pick up any of these ingredients at your local market, such as
One box of yellow or white cake mix
Ingredients required on cake mix box
One container of store bought white frosting
Blueberries, 6-ounce container
Strawberries, 1-pound container (you may not use all the strawberries; it depends on their size)
- Make cake batter according to directions on cake mix box. Pour batter into a 13x9 inch baking pan lined with aluminum foil lightly buttered or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray on bottom and all sides.
- Bake according to cake mix box instructions. Let cake cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan by grabbing sides of the aluminum foil and lifting the cake out gently but quickly. Set cake on a flat surface, preferably the surface you plan to serve it on. You can also leave cake in the pan and transport the cake that way, but the cake sides will not get frosted.
- Frost top (and sides, if applicable) of cooled cake with white frosting.
- Decorate top of cake with blueberries in the top left corner to resemble the stars in the American flag.
- Slice strawberries in half and soak up any juice or moisture on the strawberries with a paper towel. This will help them to stay in place on the cake.
- Arrange sliced strawberries, cut side down, in horizontal lines on the frosted cake to resemble the stripes on the American flag.
- Pledge allegiance and eat!